This is part of the Vehicle-Related Practices from the IOGP Land Transportation Safety Recommended Practice documented in their Report 365. This page only summarises the guidance – refer to the IOGP report and/or IOGP website for further information.
Only operate vehicles with loads properly secured.
- All loads are secured to prevent damage, movement, or loss during and after transit.
- Are competent in load securement.
- Ensure loads (cargo) are properly secured.
- Ensure that the loads and passenger numbers do not exceed the manufacturer’s specifications and local legal limits for the vehicle, including consideration for the mass of the vehicle occupants.
- Ensure that the passenger compartment of the vehicle is kept free from loose objects that might lead to driver distraction or become hazardous projectiles if a rollover or abrupt vehicle manoeuvre occurs. Loose items, including personal items and PPE, are stored in a locker, trunk or a storage compartment of the vehicle. If their vehicle does not have enough storage for these things, drivers make sure that loose objects are secured in a safe and responsible manner.
Supervisors, Managers, Leaders:
- Ensure and verify that the person in charge of the load securement (e.g., driver, helper, or operator) is competent in load securement.
- Ensure that axle loading does not exceed the manufacturer’s specifications and local legal.limits for the vehicle.
- Ensure proper and adequate load securement devices and associated equipment is available and serviceable.
For more information on our Land Transport Safety or any other playing cards please contact us.